National University is seeking an Advanced Practice Nurse to provide specialized nursing services in the area that may include school based health care, women's health care, family planning, primary care, and related work as required.
The APN will provide health care services to patients who may have acute episodic conditions or chronic problems, as well as those seeking health evaluation, preventive care and/or education and counseling. They will be responsible to diagnose and treat both chronic and episodic disorders, including complications of otherwise normal processes.
The APN establishes and documents the health care plan and diagnosis, and maintains records of each case that are sufficiently complete for any physician reviewing them to evaluate the effectiveness of the plan. Considerable medical and independent nursing judgment is required to determine the appropriate procedure within scope of practice.
This role requires an advanced level of competency in nursing through additional education at the graduate level. The APN consistently demonstrates the knowledge, skills, abilities and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service. They will also be responsible for providing guidance to student nurses and other health professional students assigned to the Project, and must hold national and state board certification with prescriptive privilege.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Obtains and records client's health history; performs comprehensive physical assessment (including biological, social and psychological needs) as part of a total physical examination.
- Diagnoses, treats and plans appropriate health care for clients in the area of school based health care, women's health care, family planning, and primary care as appropriate for specialists; Performing diagnostic tests and screening.
- Collaborates with multidisciplinary team
- Facilitates the referral of patients to the appropriate health facilities, agencies, and resources within the community.
- Provides and prescribes medications within area of specialty.
- Performs laboratory procedures and interprets lab test results.
- Provides case management services for select clients.
- Provides group, individual, and community education classes on birth control methods, sexually transmitted diseases and other health concerns about preventive measures to avoid illness.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Master’s degree in nursing with specialization as an advanced practice nurse.
- Completion of a state approved nurse practitioner program of study.
- Hold and maintain current national and state board certification as a nurse practitioner from approved organization (American Nurses Credentialing Center, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, National Certification Corporation for Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing Specialties, or the Pediatric Nursing Certification Board)
- Current California Furnishing Number
- Current BCLS card
- National Provider Identification Number (NPI)
- Current DEA Registration Number required
Excellent typing and computer skills preferred.
Technical knowledge and ability to evaluate medical problems and make decisions regarding urgency of care for appropriate disposition is an integral part of this position - excellent triage skills are highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Possess a thorough knowledge of nursing techniques and procedures; medical and lab equipment and testing procedures and medication proscribing and treatment.
- Have considerable knowledge of interviewing and counseling techniques.
- Ability to work independently; communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; deal tactfully and patiently with clients;
- Able to establish and maintain records, reports and statistical data;
- Must use initiative and judgment to maintain effective working relationships with other related agencies; professionals and community-based organizations and leaders;
- Perform and record total physical examination;
- Obtain vaginal, cervical, urethral and rectal cultures, papanicolaou smears, and other laboratory specimens as appropriate
- Demonstrate skill in diagnostic procedures for diseases and the drug therapy needed for treatment of these medical conditions. Must be proficient in the use of medical and laboratory equipment.
Special Skills & Training:
- Knowledge of Telehealthcare Technologies
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
- Establishes and maintains client’s electronic medical records and other necessary records.
- Provides in-service education classes on assigned responsibilities for nursing staff.
- Prescribing appropriate pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic treatment modalities
- Plan for appropriate follow-up care Attend and participate in community outreach activities
- Adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, accreditation and licenser requirements, and National University’s policies and procedures.
- Maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity.
- Performs other nursing duties as assigned.